When we found the Encounter, she had been standing abandoned in Riverbend Marina in Fort Lauderdale for several years. She was in a poor state. A hurricane had toppled her over; broke the mast and dented the hull. A total refit was needed.
The intention was to keep the boat as close to its original as possible. However, aside from participating in regattas, we also wanted to be able to cruise with her and have a reasonable level of comfort.
Some of the work done while in Florida:
– in the saloon, on the starbord side, the (3) bunks were taken away and a U-shaped settee was created around a table
– in the fore peak, on the starbord side, sail storage racks were removed and two bunks created
– an electric anchorwinch and chainlocker were installed
– a new, 12V water cooled, fridge compressor was installed
– the original engine with it’s inefficient and leaking hydraulic transmission system was removed and a new Volvo 75Hp engine coupled to a saildrive was installed
– the yacht got a new electronic package including automatic pilot, wind instruments, plotter, etc.
– the mainsail traveller was moved a little forward out of the cockpit on to deck. This allowed for a sprayhood to be placed giving the cockpit protection from wind and weather.
– the 4 deckhatches were replaced for new ones
Then the boat was transported to Toulon – South of France.
In La Ciotat (France) the new rig was placed after which we took her to the port of Cap d’Ail where our company, Navimarine International, is based.
As Encounter is flying the French flag we had to go through and complete the procedure to obtain CE Certification.
The refit work and improvements is continuing up to this day. Navimarine personel is doing most work, otherwise it manages the relevant sub contractors.
Some of the work done at Navimarine International:
– extensive carpentry work s.a. replacement all floorboards, numerous minor repairs/modifications/improvements to interior woodwork
– varnish of all interior woodwork removed back to bare wood and revarnished
– 220V water heater also connected to engine installed
– Grey/black waste tanks installed, freshwater pressure pump.
– Victron 1600W inverter/charger, new Victron Gel batteries total capacity 540Ah
– small changes deckplan: removal of some tracks, place 4 “jammers” at foot of mast, service all winches
– paintjob for hull and deck in Awlgrip
– new backstay hydraulic cylinder, service pump and manifold, clean and flush hydraulic system (vang, outhaul, babystay, backstay)
And much more…
Since 2012 the Encounter has particiapated in several races, inshore and offshore. Also, she has cruised extensively to the Greek Islands, Balearics, Corsica and Cote d’Azur.